Monday, March 19, 2007

Sri Lanka - The road to establishment

It has been just over a month since I arrived in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and we are on our way to establishing our lives here. It looks like we could be here for some time yet.

Luckily things have been quite quiet on the conflict front (well around Colombo anyway - however it has flaired up in a bad way in the North and East). The way of life over heretook quite a bit of getting used to - the traffic, pollution, food, smells, heat, language, etc. I think it will take some more time to truly feel like I am living here, rather than just treading water here.

Jason arrived 4 months ago now and has been working with a Sri Lankan NGO as a fisheries advisor. I am working with an international organisation in rule of law, good governance and livelihood projects. We found a lovely house to live in, which has really made a huge difference. It is peaceful, secure and comfortable. Check out the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/katalyst2002/SriLankaOurHome

We are finally beginning to feel settled in. We are trying to establish a routine, but the heat just slows you down. By the time you get home, that last thing you want to do is exercise or do the grocery shopping. You just want a cold shower, a cold drink and a lie down. Time moves at a different pace over here - and I don't necessarily mean slower, just differently and I'm pretty sure its because of the heat.

Speaking of time, thought I might just mention that today is my last day in my twenties, for tomorrow I progress into my third decade. Weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home